The Importance Of Planning For Your Bankruptcy
What you do before you file bankruptcy is just as important to your case as what happens once your case is filing and could have a significant impact. Before attempting to handle or move your assets yourself, make sure you talk to a bankruptcy attorney about your options. Trying to give away or conceal assets in an effort in order to protect them may cause trouble later on with the court.
At Roy Petty & Associates, we will evaluate your unique situation and provide you with choices, as well as the pros and cons so you can make the decision that is best for you and your family.
How To Make The Most Of Your First Visit With Your Bankruptcy Attorney
When you call to book your consultation with Roy Petty & Associates you will receive a list of documentation that will be needed to assess your case. The more information you can bring, the better idea we will have on how to advise you.
What We Review Prior To Your Filing
During pre-bankruptcy planning stage of your case, we use the information you have provided to get a clear picture of your finances. In some cases, bankruptcy may not be your best choice. In order to make that determination, we must examine your income, your living expenses and other related costs.
Together, we will review your assets and advise you on how to proceed. In some cases, that may mean waiting to file for bankruptcy if you anticipate your income falling or if you will be in danger of losing assets you wish to keep. Our goal is to discharge your debt without you losing any of your assets.
Preparing For Our First Meeting
When you come to Roy Petty & Associates to discuss your case, please bring with you:
- Your tax returns for the last two years
- Your 4 last paycheck stubs and an idea of what your gross income has been for the six months prior to your meeting with one of our lawyers
- An informal list of bills
- A statement showing what is owed on your home and its value
- For the self-employed — we would like to know what your business income and expenses have been for the six months preceding your meeting
- Pre-Bankruptcy Planning Forms sent to you when you book your appointment
- Please fill out this form and bring it to your first meeting with one of our lawyers.
Let Us Talk About Your Options For Eliminating Your Debt
Contact Roy Petty & Associates, today to schedule your initial consultation to determine what options may be best for you and your family. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.